About This Course
Learn about privacy from 5 prominent cases of data breaches from 2012 to 2015, which highlight vulnerabilities in typical organizations.
- Get an outline of data privacy laws.
- Walk away with some guiding principles for how to stay out of trouble.
- Knowing how to hack a colleague's password will raise some ethical questions. Justify your decisions in the course exam.
- Module 1:
- An overview of privacy laws in Canada
- Case Study: Student loans data breach (Canada) - A breach involving the personal information of about more than half a million clients of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) and 250 departmental employees
- An overview of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)
- Case Study: Target Corp. (USA) - A data breach involving information on 40 million payment cards (i.e., credit, debit, and ATM cards) and personally identifiable information (PII) on 70 million customers
- Dr. Ann Cavoukian's 7 Foundational Principles of 'Privacy by Design'
- Case Study: Think W3 (UK) - A data breach involving 1.2 million credit and debit card details
- Case Study: Doritex Corp. (USA) - A data breach exposed the social security numbers of over 500 job applicants
- Data breaches and passwords
- Case Study: Home Depot (USA) - A data breach estimated to have put payment card information at risk for approximately 56 million unique payment cards
- Class Participation Questionnaire
- Password hacking in R - Hands on exercise
- 10 privacy tips for companies
- This course is free.
- It is self-paced.
- It can be taken at any time.
- It can be audited as many times as you wish.
Recommended skills prior to taking this course
Fireside Analytics Inc.
Shingai Manjengwa (@Tjido) is the Director of Insights and Analytics at Fireside Analytics Inc. An NYU Stern alum, she graduated from the Stern Business Analytics Masters program in 2014 and founded Fireside Analytics the following year. Fireside Analytics is a data analytics consulting company that makes data analytics and data science skills accessible to private sector companies, non-profits and education institutions. Fireside Analytics works with clients to build their data science capabilities and train their staff and stakeholders using customized case studies. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.