ABOUT THIS COURSE
When multiple participants, such as farms, manufacturers, processing plants, trucks, ports, ships, distribution centers, and consumer retail outlets, are involved in the safe shipment and payment of cargo, you can use a blockchain network to record immutable transactions as the cargo shipment progresses through its delivery journey.
In this course, you'll do the following main tasks:
- Configure an asset tracker IoT device (or use the simulator)
- Build a blockchain business network in Hyperledger Composer
- Build an IoT application to visualize and analyze the data from the asset tracker:
- Create an IoT starter app in IBM Cloud
- Create Node-RED flows to control and receive events from Particle.io, write events to the blockchain network, and load blockchain transaction history
- Use Node-RED to build an asset tracking dashboard
You must have experience working with Node-RED, IBM Cloud, and Hyperledger Composer. You should also understand basic blockchain concepts and object-oriented programming. If you've never worked with blockchain business networks, take the course "Blockchain Essentials."
To complete this course, you need the following items:
IBM Cloud account
Important: You will need to create an instance of the IBM Blockchain service on IBM Cloud. Learners in this course will be provided a limited time, no-charge access to the IBM Blockchain Starter Plan.
Follow these steps to create your instance of the IBM Blockchain service:
- Sign up for an IBM Cloud account.
- Go to your Cognitive Class dashboard to get your IBM Cloud promo code.
- Go to the Cognitive Class promo page and follow the instructions to apply your promo code.
- Create an instance of the IBM Blockchain Platform Starter Plan.
Mac or Linux operating system is preferred on a sufficiently modern computer.
You can use Windows; however, due to limitations in Hyperledger Composer, installing Composer locally is more difficult. See Install Hyperledger Composer locally for more information.
Particle Electron Asset Tracker Kit V2 (cost is approximately $USD 130.00)
You can complete this course by using either the Particle Electron Asset Tracker device or by using a simulator. This course shows you how configure the hardware or how to use the simulator, but using the hardware is more fun!