Jamie has worked in consulting since 1994, with top firms including Price Waterhouse and Chariot Solutions. He has a long track record of working closely with clients to build highquality, missioncritical systems that scale to meet the needs of their businesses, and has worked in myriad industries including automotive, retail, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and more. Jamie has been coding in Scala and actor based systems since 2009, and is the author of "Effective Akka" book from O'Reilly.
Big Data University
Scala 101Login to enroll
- Course NumberSC0101EN
- Classes StartAny time, Self-paced
- Estimated Effort266:00
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Learn the foundations of the language for developers and data scientists interested in using Scala for data analysis.
- Tackle data analysis problems involving Big Data, Scala and Spark.
- Get a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the language, the tooling, and the development process.
- Develop a good appreciation of more advanced features.
- Module 1 - Introduction
- Introduction to Scala
- Creating a Scala Doc
- Creating a Scala Project
- The Scala REPL
- Scala Documentation
- Module 2 - Basic Object Oriented Programming
- Immutable and Mutable Fields
- Default and Named Arguments
- Module 3 - Case Objects and Classes
- Companion Objects
- Case Classes and Case Objects
- Apply and Unapply
- Synthetic Methods
- Immutability and Thread Safety
- Module 4 - Collections
- Collections overview
- Sequences and Sets
- Tuples and Maps
- Higher Order Functions
- Module 5 - Idiomatic Scala
- For expressions
- Pattern Matching
- Handling Options
- Handling Failures
- Handling Futures
- This course is free.
- It is self-paced.
- It can be taken at any time.
- It can be audited as many times as you wish.
RECOMMENDED SKILLS PRIOR TO TAKING THIS COURSE
- Experience with Java (preferred), Python, or another object-oriented language.
- No previous Scala knowledge is required.
- No previous experience with Data Science concepts is required. These concepts will be explained as needed.