Offered By: IBM
Beyond the Basics: Istio and IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service
Start managing your microservices with Istio on IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service. This course shows you how to better control traffic to services, observe service health, and secure the service mesh.Continue reading
At a Glance
Start managing your microservices with Istio on IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service. This course shows you how to better control traffic to services, observe service health, and secure the service mesh.
ABOUT THIS COURSE
In this course, you learn how to install Istio alongside microservices for a simple mock application called Guestbook. When you deploy Guestbook's microservices into an IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service cluster where Istio is installed, you inject the Istio Envoy sidecar proxies in the pods of each microservice.
Important: Some configurations and features of the Istio platform are still under development and are subject to change based on user feedback. Allow a few months for stabilization before you use Istio in production.
- Download and install Istio in your cluster
- Deploy the Guestbook sample app
- Set up the Istio Ingress controller
- Use metrics, logging, and tracing to observe services
- Perform simple traffic management, such as A/B tests and canary deployments
- Secure your service mesh
- Enforce policies for your microservices
- Lab 1: Observe service telemetry: metrics and tracing
- Lab 2: Expose the service mesh with the Istio Ingress controller
- Lab 3: Manage traffic
- Lab 4: Secure your service mesh
- Lab 5: Enforce policies for microservices
- This course is self-paced.
- It can be taken at any time.
- It can be audited as many times as you wish.
You should have a basic understanding of containers, microservices, Istio, and IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service. If you have no experience with those, take the following courses:
- Container and Kubernetes Essentials with IBM Cloud
- Getting started with Microservices with Istio and IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service
November 06, 2020
April 26, 2022
This Course is part of the following Learning Paths
Advanced Learning PathContainers, k8s and Istio on IBM Cloud
After completing this learning path, you'll understand 12-factor apps and how microservices are managed with the IBM Cloud Kubernetes Service and Istio. You'll get hands-on experience working with containers, Kubernetes, and how to deploy containerized apps. You'll learn how to deploy microservices in a cluster and how to connect, manage, and secure those microservices.3 Courses