This Week in Data Science (May 9, 2017)
Posted on May 9, 2017 by Janice Darling
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- The Colors Used by the Ten Most Popular Sites– Data Visualization showing plots of the colors used by some of the most popular sites.
- 42 Essential Quotes by Data Science Thought Leaders – Quotes from industry leaders giving insight into problems faced by those in the field.
- Warp your data to make it visually appealing – A short tutorial on how to create visually interesting plots without change important statistical properties.
- Deep Learning intuition for a business user – Deep Learning from a business leader perspective.
- Machine Learning overtaking Big Data? – A look at the different trends around ML and Big Data and other fields.
- Same Stats, Different Graphs: Generating Datasets with Varied Appearance and Identical Statistics through Simulated Annealing –An illustration and explanation of the importance data visualization.
- Deep Learning – Past, Present, and Future – A brief discussion of the field of Deep Learning and its impact.
- Infographic: Cloud use is growing, but the data center isn’t dead yet – The results of a survey on cloud usage among IT professionals and its implications.
- Gartner publishes Magic Quadrant for Sales Performance Management 2017: IBM identified as a Leader – IBM is apart of the ‘Leader’ quadrant of the Gartner Magic Quadrant for the fourth consecutive year.
- MIT Step by Step Instructions for Creating Your Own R Package. – A guide to creating a package for R using RStudio.
- IBM’s Watson wants to help you make a movie – The Storytellers With Watson competition for artists who believe Watson may assist in their creativity.
- Which deep learning network is best for you? – A comparison of some open source frameworks.
- The key to identifying the next big threat: Data analytics & cybersecurity – A discussion about the use of data avert cyberattacks.
- R Packages worth a look – A look at some useful R packages.
- Leveraging Big Data and Machine Learning – How Trulia uses Big Data and Machine Learning to provide a better user experience.
- IBM says big data has provided new insight into how Ebola spread – IBM employs Big Data analytics to investigate the spread of Ebola among animal carriers.
FEATURED COURSES FROM BDU
- SQL and Relational Databases 101 – Learn the basics of the database querying language, SQL.
- Big Data 101 – What Is Big Data? Take Our Free Big Data Course to Find Out.
- Predictive Modeling Fundamentals I – Take this free course and learn the different mathematical algorithms used to detect patterns hidden in data.
- Using R with Databases – Learn how to unleash the power of R when working with relational databases in our newest free course.
- Deep Learning with TensorFlow – Take this free TensorFlow course and learn how to use Google’s library to apply deep learning to different data types in order to solve real world problems.
UPCOMING DATA SCIENCE EVENTS
- CBF New York – Foursquare API – May 11, 2017 @ 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm