This Week in Data Science (May 2, 2017)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Video Roundup: New from IBM Watson – A brief run down of some new things IBM Watson is tackling.
- Five Missteps to Avoid on your First Big Data Journey. – Steps to take in order to avoid common Big Data pitfalls.
- How Machine Learning Is Changing The Future Of Digital Businesses – How Machine Learning impacts automation and digital transformation.
- Hacking maps with ggplot2 – Short look at mapping with the R package ggplot2.
- AI & Machine Learning Black Boxes: The Need for Transparency and Accountability – The importance of comprehending the inner workings Machine Learning Algorithms.
- How just 30 machines beat a warehouse-sized supercomputer to set a new world record – IBM partners with Nvidia to showcase the ability of massively parallel processing on GPUs.
- Data Analytics Is The Key Skill For The Modern Engineer – How engineers can embrace Data Analytics to streamline business operations and task integration.
- Building and Exploring a Map of Reddit with Python – A tutorial on how to explore a map of the most popular subreddits with python.
- Data scientists really love their jobs, survey finds – The results of a survey showing how satisfied Data Scientists are with their jobs.
- Reproducible Data Science with R – A presentation on the application of a Reproducible Workflow to Data Science in R.
- IBM uses deep learning to better detect a leading cause of blindness – IBM has made another application of cognitive computing to the medical field.
- Awesome Deep Learning: Most Cited Deep Learning Papers – A list of fairly recent must read publications on Deep Learning.
- Emotion Detection Using Machine Learning – An example of the use of Deep Learning to perform feature extractions.
- Plotting Data Online via Plotly and Python – Introductory steps to creating plots with Plotly.
- Machine Learning Classification Using Naive Bayes – A classification exercise using the Naive-Bayes algorithm in R.
- The Art of Data –How Watson, fed with data about different subjects, helped to create art.
Featured Courses From BDU
- SQL and Relational Databases 101 – Learn the basics of the database querying language, SQL.
- Big Data 101 – What Is Big Data? Take Our Free Big Data Course to Find Out.
- Predictive Modeling Fundamentals I – Take this free course and learn the different mathematical algorithms used to detect patterns hidden in data.
- Using R with Databases – Learn how to unleash the power of R when working with relational databases in our newest free course.
- Deep Learning with TensorFlow – Take this free TensorFlow course and learn how to use Google’s library to apply deep learning to different data types in order to solve real world problems.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- UofT Data Science Workshop: Intro to Clustering with R – May 2, 2017 @ 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- UofT Data Science Workshop: Intro to Classification with R –May 4, 2017 @ 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- IBM Webinar: Charting Your Analytical Future Webinar: Get the best of Self-service Analytics and Managed reporting together – May 4, 2017 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Cool Data Science Videos
- Machine Learning With Python – Collaborative Filtering & Its Challenges – An Exploration of Collaborative Filtering Techniques.
- Machine Learning With Python – Course Summary – A review of the BDU course Machine Learning 101.