This Week in Data Science (March 28, 2017)
Posted on March 28, 2017 by Janice Darling
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- Data Analytics for Societal Good
– An account of an instance of Data Analytics for Societal Good.
- What Is Data Science, and What Does a Data Scientist Do?
– A simple definition of the roles, experiences, qualifications etc. of the term Data Scientist.
- In Defense of Simplicity, A Data Visualization Journey
– Discussing the field of Data Visualization.
- How does machine learning work?
–Extract from the IBM booklet “How it works – Machine Learning.
- Getting Started with Deep Learning
–Different approaches to getting started with deep learning from a framework perspective
- Interview questions for data scientists
– Advice for recruiters and candidates for data science job interviews.
- IBM launches blockchain as a service for the enterprise
–How IBM is enabling developers to quickly build and host secure blockchain networks via the IBM Cloud.
- Data Science vs. Data Analytics – Why Does It Matter? – Discussion of the difference between the terms Data Science and Data Analytics.
- Sentiment Analysis of Warren Buffett’s Letters to Shareholders – Code and Visualization of the results of Sentiment Analysis on Warren Buffets Letter to Shareholders.
- Galvanize will teach students how to use IBM Watson APIs with new machine learning course
– IBM will Partner with Galvanize to familiarize students with IBM’s suite of Watson APIs.
- How Data Science Can Help You Not to be Blindsided in Decision-Making – How Data Science can affect every business function.
- The Future of Machine Learning in Finance
– Discussion of the future of Machine Learning in Finance.
- The Best Resources for Learning D3.js
- Understanding the power of real-time geospatial analytics
– How the Geospatial Analytics service in IBM Bluemix can monitor moving devices from the Internet of Things.
- The Top 12 Tips for Data Visualization
– Tips for creating simple yet effective data visualization.
- IBM Watson Health can now detect head trauma
– IBM Watson Health partners with MedyMatch Technology, an Israel-based startup that uses advanced cognitive analytics and artificial intelligence to deliver medical solutions.
UPCOMING DATA SCIENCE EVENTS
- Introduction to Python with Data Analysis(Hands-On)
–March 30, 2017 @ 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
FEATURED COURSES FROM BDU
- Big Data 101 – What Is Big Data? Take Our Free Big Data Course to Find Out.
- Predictive Modeling Fundamentals I
– Take this free course and learn the different mathematical algorithms used to detect patterns hidden in data.
- Using R with Databases
– Learn how to unleash the power of R when working with relational databases in our newest free course.
- Deep Learning with TensorFlow – Take this free TensorFlow course and learn how to use Google’s library to apply deep learning to different data types in order to solve real world problems.
COOL DATA SCIENCE VIDEOS
- Machine Learning With Python – Supervised Learning K Nearest Neighbors
– An introduction to the K Nearest Neighbors Algorithm.
- Machine Learning With Python – Supervised Learning Decision Trees
– An overview of Decision Trees.
- Machine Learning With Python – Supervised Learning Random Forests
– A brief discussion of Random Forests and their applications.