This Week in Data Science (February 21, 2017)
Posted on February 21, 2017 by Janice Darling
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- IBM, Visa partner to make the Internet of things commerce friendly – IBM Watson’s IoT platform and Visa’s token technology will partner to increase the capability of IoT devices.
- 17 More Must-Know Data Science Interview Questions and Answers – Useful Solutions to Data Science Interview Questions.
- The Mathematics of Machine Learning – The importance of Mathematics and Statistics in the field of Machine Learning.
- How to analyze text – Broad Overview of extracting data from text.
- IBM wants to bring machine learning to the mainframe – IBM will aim to bring its platform for Machine Learning to the z systems portfolio.
- Spark gets faster for streaming analytics – Spark Summit in Boston highlights progress in fields such as Machine Learning and Deep Learning.
- IBM and Fox make a big impact with Hidden Figures screening – IBM and Fox partner to show screenings of Hidden Figures to young aspiring engineers and scientists.
- IBM Turns Watson Into A Cybersecurity Weapon Amid White House Interest – IBM Watson will use it abilities to spot security breaches and hacking attempts.
- Software Engineering vs Machine Learning Concepts – Brief discussion of differences between Software Engineering and Machine Learning concepts.
- January New Data Packages –A list of new R data packages for the month of January.
- Removing Outliers Using Standard Deviation in Python – Using Standard Deviation to remove outliers with Python.
- Natural Language Processing Key Terms, Explained – A brief explanation of 18 Natural Language processing terms for beginners.
- Graphs from 1900 that depict a snapshot of African American life – A series of charts made in 1900 by W.E.B Du Bois.
- A National Pizza Day investigation: how many slices a day do Americans eat? – A look into the data surrounding the pizza eating habits of Americans.
- IBM’s new weather app sends emergency alerts without a network – IBM has created a weather app which utilizes Mesh Network Alerts enabling transmission of notifications without cellular network.
UPCOMING DATA SCIENCE EVENTS
FEATURED COURSES FROM BDU
- Big Data 101 – What Is Big Data? Take Our Free Big Data Course to Find Out.
- Predictive Modeling Fundamentals I
– Take this free course and learn the different mathematical algorithms used to detect patterns hidden in data.
- Using R with Databases
– Learn how to unleash the power of R when working with relational databases in our newest free course.
COOL DATA SCIENCE VIDEOS
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Training a Restricted Boltzmann Machine
– This video from our free course on Tensorflow demonstrates how to train a Restricted Boltzmann Machine using Tensorflow.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaVZbmAnV0 – A demonstration of how to build a collaborative, filtering based recommendation system using a Boltzmann Machine and Tensorflow.
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Initializing a Restricted Boltzmann Machine.
– This video will demonstrate how to build a initializer-restricted Boltzmann machine.