This Week in Data Science (February 7, 2017)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- IBM and United Airlines collaborate on enterprise iOS apps – United Airlines partners with IBM to develop iOS apps in an effort more efficient customer service.
- Capturing IoT data from network’s edge to the cloud – Improving customer service through combining untapped IoT data and traditional consumer data.
- Becoming a Data Scientist – The skills and tools needed to become an effective Data Scientist.
- IBM’s Watson wants to help you do your taxes at H&R Block – IBM Watson partners with H&R Block to improve customer service and identify credits and deductions.
- Essentials of working with Python cloud (Ubuntu) – A summary of functionalities that may assist in running Python scripts on the Ubuntu cloud.
- First IBM France Sparkathon a winning success
– Top Apache Spark enthusiasts participated in the first IBM Sparkathon aimed at improving banking customer services.
- Now over 10,000 packages in R – The official R package repository has surpassed the 10,000 mark.
- IBM calls healthcare industry a ‘leaky vessel in a stormy sea’ – How the healthcare industry is more at risk for cyberattacks.
- A Computer Just Clobbered Four Pros At Poker – Program making use of A.I. algorithm defeats poker professionals.
- Internet of Things Tutorial: IoT Devices and the Semantic Sensor Web – How IoT applications utilize multiple sensors and Internet connected devices.
- The 5 deadly Data Management sins – 5 practices to avoid Data Management pitfalls.
- Data Scientist – best job in America, again – Glassdoor has again ranked the Data Scientist position as the best job in USA.
- Internet of Things: Setting business vision on speed and agility – The importance of an agile data platform in a competitive atmosphere.
- Stream processing and the IBM Open Platform – Choosing the right engine for real-time data processing with Hadoop.
- R Packages worth a look – A roundup of some interesting R packages.
Featured Courses From BDU
- Big Data 101 – What Is Big Data? Take Our Free Big Data Course to Find Out.
- Predictive Modeling Fundamentals I
– Take this free course and learn the different mathematical algorithms used to detect patterns hidden in data.
- Using R with Databases
– Learn how to unleash the power of R when working with relational databases in our newest free course.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- IBM Event: Big Data and Analytics Summit – February 14, 2017 @ 7:15 am – 4:45 pm, Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel 525 Bay St. Toronto Ontario.
Cool Data Science Videos
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Applying Recurrent Networks to Language Modelling – Explanation of Applying Recurrent Networks to Language Modelling
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Introduction to Unsupervised Learning – Overview of the basic concepts of Unsupervised Learning.
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – RBMs and Autoencoders
– An overview of RBMs and Autoencoders.