This Week in Data Science (January 10, 2017)
Posted on January 10, 2017 by Janice Darling
Hello all! My name is Janice Darling and I will be taking over this column from Cora.
Here is a roundup of the news this week in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe to keep up-to-date with developments in Big Data and Data Science!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- Big Data: Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends in 2017 – A brief review of the year in Big Data and Data Science for 2016 and their contributions to industry trends in 2017 as predicted by eight industry experts.
- IBM’s ‘5 in 5’ predicts what crazy scientific inventions may emerge in the next few years – IBM’s annual ‘5 in 5’ predictions are here to predict innovation based on market and societal trends that will revolutionize our lives over the next five years.
- 6 Tech Skills That Will Enhance Your Salary In 2017 – The six skills which might be worth learning in the new year in order to stand out and gain a higher salary in the ever-growing and competitive field of technology.
- All Eyes On AI in 2017 – A description of the different AI technologies that might emerge over the course of 2017.
- AI and the future of design: What will the designer of 2025 look like? – Delve into how artificial intelligence will impact design.
- 10 Significant Visualization Developments: July to December 2016 – A six month review of some of the most popular data visualization projects.
- 2016 in charts – A key look back at some of the key new indicators of 2016.
- Neural Network Learns to Identify Criminals by Their Faces – How individuals from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in China used different machine-vision algorithms to study the faces of criminals and identify differences.
- Top December Stories: 50+ Data Science, Machine Learning Cheat Sheets; Machine Learning/AI: Main 2016 Developments, Key 2017 Trends – An overview of the top stories for December 2016 in the fields of Data Science, Machine Learning, AI and more.
- 5 trends in defensive security for 2017 – Key trends to watch for in the field of security in the coming months.
- What counts as success for “Super Mario Run – Storytelling of the success of Super Mario Run through the use of Data visualizations.
- Machine Learning Meets Humans – Insights from HUML 2016 – A report from an important IEEE workshop on human interaction with machine learning, safety, decision making, etc.
- Python 3.6.0 is now available! – The newest release of Python became available on December 23 and contains many new features and optimizations.
- R Packages worth a look – A look at some R packages dealing with the Naive Bayes algorithm and simulations among other things.
- The biggest R stories from 2016 – Highlights from the R community during the year 2016
COOL DATA SCIENCE VIDEOS
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Introduction to Convolutional Networks – Here is an overview of the convolutional network model from our free Deep Learning with TensorFlow course
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Activation Functions – This video provides an overview of the most commonly used Activation Functions in TensorFlow
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Logistic Regression – An overview and basic implementation of logistic regression which is an important tool for machine learning in TensorFlow
- Deep Learning with Tensorflow – Linear Regression with TensorFlow – This video demonstrates how to perform linear regression using the TensorFlow Library