This Week in Data Science (December 20, 2016)
Posted on December 20, 2016 by cora
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- 5 Tips for Leveraging Big Data to Increase Holiday Sales – Running an e-commerce store? A small business? Big data could help you nab more sales this holiday season and get the revenue flowing in.
- IBM and BMW want Watson to help drive your car – IBM Watson could soon be helping you to drive your car, as IBM’s cognitive computing unit is set to work with BMW Group to explore how the technology could aid cars of the future.
- IBM’s Watson Turns Its Computer Brain to NASA Research – IBM’s Watson computer system, hosted in the cloud, is taking on NASA’s big research data.
- Obama administration proposes that all new cars must be able to talk to each other – The Obama Administration on Tuesday proposed a rule that would require all new cars to be able to communicate with other cars wirelessly, a move that advocates said could save lives, but that also raises privacy and hacking concerns among opponents.
- How Will the Softer Side of Robots Affect our Lives – Despite the advancements in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence, Robots have not learnt how to show emotion… just yet…but when we think of robots, more often than not images of clunky humanoid contraptions, metal with hinged joints and bulky movement spring to mind (excuse the pun).
- How Artificial Intelligence Will Usher in the Next Stage of E-Government – Since the earliest days of the Internet, most government agencies have eagerly explored how to use technology to better deliver services to citizens, businesses and other public-sector organizations.
- Data Science, Predictive Analytics Main Developments in 2016 and Key Trends for 2017 – Key themes included the polling failures in 2016 US Elections, Deep Learning, IoT, greater focus on value and ROI, and increasing adoption of predictive analytics by the “masses” of industry.
- Data science skills: Is NoSQL better than SQL? –
Big data is one of the hottest sectors in tech right now, but how do you stay on top of the changing technologies? David Pardoe of Hays Recruitment talks about the differences between SQL and NoSQL in data.
- Amazon makes its first Prime Air drone delivery to a customer – Amazon has completed its first customer delivery by drone.
- Big Data Science: Expectation vs. Reality – The path to success and happiness of the data science team working with big data project is not always clear from the beginning. It depends on maturity of underlying platform, their cross skills and devops process around their day-to-day operations.
- Data Tools Offer Hints at How Judges Might Rule – Services offer lawyers statistics on how likely a given case is to be dismissed.
- A Supercomputer Knows What Flavors You Like Better Than You Do – You probably feel like you have a good idea of what food you like and what you don’t. Turns out, you might actually enjoy flavor combinations (strawberries and jalapeno!?!) that you would never have thought to try. Enter, supercomputers.
- Deep-Learning Machine Listens to Bach, Then Writes Its Own Music in the Same Style – Can you tell the difference between music composed by Bach and by a neural network?
- The Countries With The Fastest Internet – According to Akamai, South Korea is well ahead of the pack when it comes to fast internet.
- Tourists Vs Locals: 20 Cities Based On Where People Take Photos – Tourists and locals experience cities in strikingly different ways.
- Deep Learning Reinvents the Hearing Aid – Finally, wearers of hearing aids can pick out a voice in a crowded room.