This Week in Data Science (December 13, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- The 5G Revolution Is Coming — What to Know Before It’s Here – It doesn’t seem long ago when telecom companies were prepping their networks for the next wireless standard of the time — 4G. Here we are on the eve of 5G.
- Amazon’s Grocery Store Doesn’t Have a Single Checkout – You can simply scan your phone, pick your food up off the shelf, and walk out.
- Finding the genre of a song with Deep Learning – A step-by-step guide to make your computer a music expert.
- 5 unexpected sources of bias in artificial intelligence – The reality is that not only are very few intelligent systems genuinely unbiased, but there are multiple sources for bias.
- What You Are Too Afraid to Ask About Artificial Intelligence – Along with the advancements in pure machine learning research, we have done many steps ahead toward a greater comprehension of the brain mechanisms.
- Cozmo, which came out on Oct. 17, is the latest toy from six-year-old San Francisco startup Anki. It’s also an attempt to bring the burgeoning fields of robotics and artificial intelligence to consumers. –
- Why is data science such an important skill? –
Data science is one the hottest career tracks at the moment, but why? What makes data science so valuable and why should candidates be training to be data scientists? David Pardoe from Hays Recruitment has the answer.
- Fast Food Menu of Calories – This is the range of apple slices and piles of bacon.
- Predicting with confidence: the best machine learning idea you never heard of – One of the disadvantages of machine learning as a discipline is the lack of reasonable confidence intervals on a given prediction.
- Mall of America Gets an IBM Watson-powered Bot For Holiday Shopping – IBM today announced the launch of a pilot program to deploy its artificial intelligence inside Mall of America.
- IBM, Rice University working on Watson-powered robot to help elderly – ‘Aging in place’ initiative in Austin, Texas, explores ways to approach eldercare, while in Italy IBM teams up with Sole Cooperative to study how Internet of Things might improve senior housing.
- Machine Learning vs Statistics – Machine learning is all about predictions, supervised learning, and unsupervised learning, while statistics is about sample, population, and hypotheses. But are they actually that different?
- “The Future Of Humanity Is To Direct One’s Own Evolution” – an Interview with Amal Graafstra – Amal Graafstra is a double RFID implantee, author of the book RFID Toys, and TEDx speaker. His custom gadgetry company Dangerous Things’ mission states that “biohacking is the forefront of a new kind of evolution.”
- IBM to use AI to help banks with cybersecurity – IBM launched its IBM Watson for Cyber Security program in beta on Tuesday, and announced that it already has 40 clients signed up, including global leaders in the banking and insurance industries.
- The 10 Algorithms Machine Learning Engineers Need to Know – Read this introductory list of contemporary machine learning algorithms of importance that every engineer should understand.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit – The Predictive Analytics Innovation Summit, on February 22-23, provides a platform for industry leaders to deliver case studies, expertise and share unique insight into the rapidly emerging movement: the power to forecast the future with today’s data.