This Week in Data Science (November 15, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- What Artificial Intelligence Can and Can’t Do Right Now – Lately the media has sometimes painted an unrealistic picture of the powers of AI.
- Can deep learning help solve lip reading? – New research paper shows AI easily beating humans, but there’s still lots of work to be done.
- Trump, Failure of Prediction, and Lessons for Data Scientists – The shocking and unexpected win of Donald Trump of presidency of the United States has once again showed the limits of Data Science and prediction when dealing with human behavior.
- Understanding the Four Types of Artificial Intelligence – Machines understand verbal commands, distinguish pictures, drive cars and play games better than we do. How much longer can it be before they walk among us?
- Google DeepMind’s AI learns to play with physical objects – Push it, pull it, break it, maybe even give it a lick. Children experiment this way to learn about the physical world from an early age. Now, artificial intelligence trained by researchers at Google’s DeepMind and the University of California, Berkeley, is taking its own baby steps in this area.
- IBM’s Watson to use genomic data to defeat drug-resistant cancers – The five-year, $50 million project will study thousands of drug-resistant tumors.
- A Day in the Life of a Data Engineer – This post is part of our Day in the Life of Data series, where our alumni discuss the daily challenges they work on at over 200 companies.
- Machine-Learning Algorithm Quantifies Gender Bias in Astronomy – Calculation suggests papers with women first-authors have citation rates pushed down by 10 percent.
- Delivering real-time AI in the palm of your hand – As video becomes an even more popular way for people to communicate, we want to give everyone state-of-the art creative tools to help you express yourself.
- Six Data Science Lessons from the Epic Polling Failure – Big data analytics suffered a huge setback on Tuesday when nearly every political poll failed to predict the outcome of the presidential election.
- Deep learning is already altering your reality – If we’re living in an algorithmic bubble, we should know how it’s bending and coloring whatever rays of light we’re able to glimpse through it.
- How IBM Watson May Help Solve Cancer Drug Resistance – We may soon know how cancer dodges powerful drugs and becomes resistant to them.
- How to approach machine learning in the cloud – Machine learning needs lots of data, and the best place for all that data and the systems that use it is in the cloud.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Data Analysis with Spark – Come learn how to work with Big Data using Apache Spark on November 17th.
- Apache Spark – Hands-on Session – Come join speakers Matt McInnis and Sepi Seifzadeh, Data Scientists from IBM Canada as they guide the group through three hands-on exercises using IBM’s new Data Science Experience to leverage Apache Spark.
- Analytics Strategies in the Cloud – Join IBM and 2-time Canadian Olympic gold-medalist Alexandre Bilodeau for a complimentary event in Montreal where you’ll network, eat, drink and engage in an inspiring discussion on making business analytics easier and more available for all departments throughout your company.
- Self service analytics in a flash with dashDB – Join this IBM Webinar on November 17th to learn about self service analytics.
- The DNA of a Data Science Rock Star – Join us on November 29th for this latest Data Science Central Webinar and learn what skills, tools, and behaviors are emerging as the DNA of the Rock Star Data Scientist.