This Week in Data Science (October 05, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Our Robot Overlords Are Now Delivering Pizza, And Cooking It On The Go – In Mountain View, Calif., a couple of miles down the road from Google, there’s a new pizza shop. Only instead of a dozen blue-collar workers pouring marinara sauce, Zume Pizza has robots and algorithms running the show.
- How Europe Is Trying to Get Everything in Place for Self-Driving Cars – It’s a politically led alliance.
Europe’s automotive and telecoms industries have formed an alliance to promote automated driving and connected cars.
- Why This Diet App Is Using Computer Vision To Help You Lose Weight – With its new “Snap It” feature, the Lose It app automatically identifies the food you’re eating.
- BDU China initiatives – Learn about BDU’s work in China.
- Announcing Over $80 million in New Federal Investment and a Doubling of Participating Communities in the White House Smart Cities Initiative – With nearly two-thirds of Americans living in urban settings, many of our fundamental challenges from climate change to equitable growth to improved health will require our cities to be laboratories for innovation.
- Three Things IMDB Confirms About Millennials – Marcus analyses the difference age makes on attitudes towards film by mining IMDb’s ratings.
- Google’s New Service Translates Languages Almost as Well as Humans Can – A jump in the fluency of Google’s language software will help efforts to make chatbots less lame.
- AI is Crushing It, But Why Now? – This is the year of artificial intelligence, when the technology came into its own for mainstream businesses.
- Cubr – Cubr is an app that can solve your rubik’s cube.
- Experts share best practices that deter cyber attacks – At the recent i2 Summit for a Safer Planet event, experts discussed best practices and steps that governments, commercial organizations and citizens alike can use to uncover malicious indicators and predict threats before they are executed.
- Estimating Delivery Times: A Case Study In Practical Machine Learning – Fulton shares insights gained from the development process for Estimated Delivery Time.
- Hate our electoral system? Here’s who could have been president under other setups – We explored what would happen under different electoral systems and found that adjusted rules could have changed the outcome in half of the presidential elections since 2000.
- A combination of machine learning and game theory is being used to fight elephant poaching in Uganda – Using Protection Assistant for Wildlife Security (PAWS), a technology combining machine learning and game theory, researchers can predict where poachers may attack and tell rangers where to patrol.
- Ranking the Most Beloved TV Shows That Got Canceled – Using data, short-lived cancelled shows were ranked by the number of user ratings.
- Big Data in cars could be a $750 billion business by 2030 – For the past decade, electric cars have been the next big thing in the auto world. Now, self-driving cars are starting to steal that thunder.
- How cognitive computing and cloud technology can improve our health and fitness – From medicine to athletics, IBM’s cognitive, cloud-based technology is changing our understanding of the human body
Upcoming Data Science Events
- BDU Data Science Volunteer Internship Information Session – In this BDU information session, on October 7th, we will explain Data Science volunteer positions that are currently available.
- Introduction to R Programming – Join BDU on October 6th to learn the basics of R programming.
- IBM Webinar: Driving Innovation and Growth with Big Data – Join our guest speaker Noel Yuhanna, Principal Analyst at Forrester Research, on October 6th, to hear how an emerging collection of technologies that Forrester calls big data fabric is driving innovation and growth.
- The Data Between Massive Open Online Courses – On October 13th, Antonio Cangiano from IBM’s BDU will give a brief overview of free data science tools to help anybody get started in data science.
- Data Science for High School – Discuss data science for High School with BDU on October 20th.
- BDU China initiatives – Raul discusses the CDA (Certified Data Analyst) Summit in Beijing.
- TDWI AUSTIN – Join TDWI on December 4-9 for an accelerated, multifaceted learning opportunity that’s all about creating immediate value back at the office.