This Week in Data Science (September 20, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Five surprising ways AI could be a part of our lives by 2030 – Artificial intelligence could soon allow robots that can learn and adapt in real-time with no human input to take over many tasks now performed by people.
- IBM gets marketers to THINK with Watson – IBM is once again harnessing the power of Watson, with its cognitive capabilities set to help marketers drive digital transformation with THINK Marketing.
- Becoming a Big Data Scientist: Skills You Need to Know and How to Learn Them – Rick Delgado discusses the most useful skills for a data scientist.
- Silicon Valley online course to mint self-driving car engineers – Silicon Valley is creating a crash course in self-driving car technology to address a shortage of engineers.
- Next-generation data science: Open analytics ecosystems – Open data science projects are revolutionizing the fabric of business in diverse industries, spawning new ecosystems of innovation.
- Rex Animal Health is using genomics to keep livestock healthy – A startup called Rex Animal Health wants to protect livestock from illnesses that can quickly turn into epidemics, and help farmers breed animals with the healthiest and most attractive traits.
- Why Do Television Companies Need a Digital Transformation – The world has changed, and continues to change, at a rapid pace. This change has introduced a number of challenges to businesses in the television industry.
- Customer Service Bots Are Getting Better at Detecting Your Agitation – A virtual assistant that can tell you’re frustrated can slow down and help you out.
- Human in AI Loop – A.I is out to get us. It will replace us all.. or maybe, it’s just another tool that we will get used to like calculators or iPhones.
- Way Beyond Jeopardy: 5 Marketing Uses Of IBM Watson – The phenomenal power of IBM Watson has already been leveraged in many ways. Watson has revelatory applications for marketers as well.
- Top Algorithms Used by Data Scientists – This poll identifies the list of top algorithms actually used by Data Scientists, finds surprises including the most academic and most industry-oriented algorithms.
- Congress Just Got Serious About a National Strategy for the Internet of Things – The Center for Data Innovation today congratulated the House of Representatives for passing H.Res. 847, a resolution calling for a national strategy for the Internet of Things to promote economic growth and consumer empowerment.
- This Camera Can Read a Book Without Opening It – A team of researchers at MIT and Georgia Tech unveiled a new machine imaging technique that allows a computer to determine what is printed on individual sheets of stacked paper without having to flip through them.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Data Science Methodology and Data Science in action Hands On – Come and learn about data science methodology – the mental flowchart of data scientists – from start to end on September 22nd in Toronto.
- IBM Webinar: Become a Better Data Scientist with IBM Data Science Experience (DSX) – Join this webinar to see Greg Filla, a data scientist at IBM, showcase a demonstration of Data Science Experience, and teach you how to get started with notebooks, Spark and more on September 22nd.
- IBM DataFirst Launch Event – Join data and analytics leaders and practitioners from the open source community, startups, and enterprises at the IBM DataFirst Launch Event on September 27th in NYC.
- What does IoT Edge Analytics look like? – This webinar, on September 27th, will showcase the new Statistica features around Edge Scoring for IoT analytics and Native Distributed Analytics Architecture.
- Tableau Conference 2016 – If you love data – the stories it tells, the action it inspires, the success it brings to your business – Tableau Conference 2016 is the place you want to be on November 7-11 in Austin, Texas.
New in BDU
- Data Science Fundamentals Learning Path – When a butterfly flaps its wings what happens? Does it fly away and move on to another flower or is there a spike in the rotation of wind turbines in the British Isles. Come be exposed to the world of data science where we are working to create order out of chaos that will blow you away!