This Week in Data Science (April 12, 2016)
Posted on April 12, 2016 by cora
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- Internet of Things in Your Face – An Internet of Things toothbrush, equipped with its own app, allows users to play games while brushing their teeth and it collects data about their routine.
- 12 Inspiring Women In Data Science, Big Data – Could the rise of big data lead more women into successful careers in technology? Here’s a list of 12 inspiring women who work in data science.
- The Secret to a Perfect Data Science Interview – When you interview a data scientist…
- Learn Fascinating Tidbits About Your City, With This Government Data Mining Tool – Data USA, created by MIT and Deloitte, is making public data more accessible.
- Your Future Toyota May Know Where You’re Going Before You’ve Told It – Cars are increasingly becoming computerized and connected. Toyota recently announced that they will be collaborating with Microsoft on its new subsidiary, called Toyota Connected. Could this technology introduce new security risks?
- A fleet of trucks just drove themselves across Europe – As part of the European Truck Platooning Challenge, organized by the Dutch government, a dozen self-driving trucks successfully drove themselves across vast distances through Europe.
- Who Are You? Big Data Tackles Personality, Behavior AND Psychology – Data science is proving useful in psychological research. Researchers can collect data from social media, smartphones, and wearable devices rather than completely relying on surveys.
- Top 3 Algorithms in Plain English – C4.5, Support Vector Machines, and Apriori are explained in plain English.
- The Rich Live Longer Everywhere.
For the Poor, Geography Matters. – A new study uses data science to analyze the relationships between income, lifespan, and location.
- Data Analytics Critical to Success in Banking – As consumer expectations are increasing, the banking industry, now more than ever, will have to rely on big data to maintain success.
- “A great deal of tech challenges in our industry are ultimately challenges in understanding people.”-Interview with Quantcast’s Peter Sirota – Peter Sirota, Senior Vice President of Engineering at Quancast, discusses challenges in big data.
- The FBI’s aerial surveillance program, visualized with R – Peter Aldhous and Charles Seife made news when they announced that US government surveillance planes were circling major cities. Using R, they gathered data, analyzed it and created visualizations about the FBI’s aerial surveillance program.
- ‘New Rembrandt’ to be unveiled in Amsterdam – Using a 3D printer and data analytics, a team of data scientists, engineers, and art historians created a piece of artwork titled “the Next Rembrandt” in the style of the 17th-century painter.
- How Secure is Your Payment Data? Not Very Secure It Seems! – Mobile payments are on the rise. As convenient as they are, questions arise about the security issues they introduce.
- Find Marketing Clusters in 20 minutes in R – Use R to segment your customers and tailor your offerings to specific segments.
- Analytics Brief: Will the IoT and driverless cars make car hacking the norm? – The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration are warning us that modern cars are susceptible to hacking. How can we increase automobile cybersecurity and minimize risk?
UPCOMING DATA SCIENCE EVENTS
- Securing the Future of Open Government Data in the United States: Introducing the OPEN Government Data Act – Join the Center for Data Innovation and the Data Coalition on Thursday, April 14th for a panel discussion about the future of open government data in the United States.
- Big Data Festival 2016 – Learn about big data innovation, visualization, and the Internet of Things on April 21 – 22 in San Francisco.
- Introduction to Big Data and Hadoop – Learn the most important big data fundamentals followed by a discussion about Hadoop on April 26th in Toronto.
- Marketing & Analytics Data Science Conference – Learn how to use marketing analytics and data science to drive business forward on June 8-10 in San Francisco.