This Week in Data Science (April 5, 2016)
Once again, here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- IBM teams up with Coursera to deliver a developer’s guide to the Internet of Things – IBM has teamed up with Coursera to offer a new open online course called “a developer’s guide to the Internet of Things.” It is meant to help developers take their first steps with the Internet of Things.
- Software That Reads Harry Potter Might Perform Some Wizardry – Maluuba, a Canadian company, has developed a deep-learning algorithm that can read and accurately answer questions about a text.
- Two out of three developers are self-taught, and other trends from a survey of 56,033 coders – Self-taught developers are dominating the technology industry. Many are now choosing to learn through online courses, bootcamps, on-the job training, and collaborating with peers.
- The IoT User Experience Urgency – In the Internet of Things (IoT), users include machines. How will we deal with this user experiance urgency?
- The Year Data Streaming Becomes Mainstream – As businesses become more data-driven, the need for streaming real-time data increases.
- How to Select the Right Prescriptive Analytics Technique for Your Business – Learn how to optimize your business by choosing the most appropriate prescriptive analytics techniques.
- Putting big data to work for musicians – Big data has successfully been used to help music listeners for several years. How can big data start to help working musicians.
- How to forecast using Regression Analysis in R – Learn how to predict using regression analysis in RStudio.
- Decades of computer vision research, one ‘Swiss Army knife’ – As part of their Cognitive Services project, Microsoft has developed tools, namely the Seeing AI and the CaptionBot, in order to help people with visual impairments better understand their surroundings. These tools use computer vision and natural language processing.
- Not Just For Earthlings: NASA Has Big Uses For Big Data – NASA, which is always in the forefront of technology innovation, are using their big data discoveries to help the general public.
- Data Science Cheat Sheet – Have you ever wished you had a single sheet with everything you needed to know about data science? This data science cheat sheet is regularly updated and includes all of the most important data science information.
- IBM Watson Is Changing Travel in Ways Nobody’s Expecting – As IBM continues to push its cognitive strategy forward and work with travel companies, IBM is using advances in computing to improve travel as we know it.
- How The Citizen Data Scientist Will Democratize Big Data – As businesses push towards data science, the demand for “citizen data scientists” is predicted to increase five times more quickly than the demand for “traditional” data scientists.
- Finance beyond the spreadsheet – Finance leaders are not longer spending their days working on spreadsheets. New data tools are now helping finance leaders use analytical insight to shape their company’s strategy.
- R Learning Path: From beginner to expert in R in 7 steps – These 7 steps can help any R novice get started as a data scientist.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- GPU Technology Conference – Join the insideBIGDATA team at the GPU Technology Conference on April 6th to learn about artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Introduction to Python for Data Science – Learn about the basics of Python and how to apply them to data science on April 7th in Washington.
- IBM outthink tour 2016 – Join IBM on April 11th in New York City to learn about cognitive analytics.
- Introduction to Big Data and Hadoop – Learn the most important big data fundamentals followed by a discussion about Hadoop on April 12th in Toronto.
- Pass Business Analytics Conference – Learn from analytics industry experts on May 3rd-4th in San Jose.
- What Happens When Laws Become Open Data? – Join the Center for Data Innovation on Tuesday, May 24th, in Washington, D.C. for a panel discussion exploring the impact of open legislative data on public and private sectors.
Cool Data Science Videos
- Data Science and Statistics: Different Worlds? – Professionals in both statistics and data science compare and contrast their disciplines.
- The Convergence of Telecom and Media – Graeme Noseworthy, from IBM Analytics for Communications, discusses the convergence between telecommunications and media in a world now driven by mobile devices.