This Week in Data Science (March 8, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- IBM Watson Analytics for social media analysis – Social media analysis is the new add on to Watson Analytics. Explore the five components of Watson Analytics: Explore, Predict, Assemble, Social Media, and Refine.
- TensorFlow for Poets – Learn how to build an image classifier using Tenserflow. No coding necessary!
- The Machine Learning Problem of The Next Decade –Figuring out how to best use an 80% accurate machine learning algorithm could be the next big challenge and opportunity of the decade.
- Google’s Computers Are Making Thousands as Artists –The “DeepDream: The art of neural networks” artificial intelligence art show in San Francisco raised thousands for charity.
- Analyzing the Language of the Presidential Debates – What happens when you apply natural language processing to the words spoken by the presidential candidates during debates? Insights that were previously unapparent begin to reveal themselves.
- Google Unveils Neural Network with “Superhuman” Ability to Determine the Location of Almost Any Image – Learn how, Google computer vision specialist, Weyand, trained a deep-learning machine to identify the location of a photo using the photo’s pixels.
- Drones and the Internet of Things in the cybersecurity equation – The rapidly increasing prevalence of drones illustrates the challenges brought to cybersecurity and privacy due to our increasing advancement in technology innovation.
- 4 Easy Steps to Structure Highly Unstructured Big Data, via Automated Indexation – Make sense of your big data by learning how the algorithm for an indexer.
- 19 Worst Mistakes at Data Science Job Interviews – This list includes some of the best advice for getting a data science job.
- A Culture of Analytics: Why Amazon & Netflix Succeed While Others Fail – Learn about the four key considerations that allow some big data companies to succeed while others fail.
- Bio-computer uses less energy, runs cooler and is more efficient – Researchers have built a biological supercomputer using nanotechnology and proteins.
- Shot-Detection Tech Reduces Gunfire in San Francisco by 35 Percent – New shot-detection technology, ShotSpotter detectors placed around cities which notify the police, is reducing the number of gunshots in San Francisco.
- Human centered analytics – For optimal results, solve data analytics and engineering problems using a human centered analytics process.
- Interactive Map: Hong-Kong through The Lense of Instagram – InData Labs introduces interactive map of Hong Kong that visualizes the Instagram activity. The map shows who posts from where and by doing so tells a story about Hong Kong.
Upcoming & Recent Data Science Events
- Internet of Things Summit – Learn from leaders in the internet of things in San Francisco on April 21-22,2016.
- Data Visualization Summit – Come network with and hear from leaders in data visualization in San Francisco on April 21-22,2016.
- Introduction to Watson Analytics – On March 15 in Toronto, learn to use Watson Analytics to find answers in your own data.
- Data Science Methodology+Classification – Come and learn about the step by step data science methodology from start to end on March 29th in Toronto.
- Data Science & Data Engineering Bootcamp
Seattle – Learn data science and data engineering from Data Science Dojo in Redmund March 28 – April 1, 2016.