This Week in Data Science (September 13, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Analyzing NBA basketball data with R – Learn how data gathered at professional basketball games can be gathered and analyzed.
- What is R? R Explained in less than Two Minutes, to Absolutely Anyone – This series of short posts is aimed at explaining some of the key concepts and technologies behind Big Data and data analytics to people who are not necessarily in the field.
- New IBM Linux servers could boost AI and big data efforts – A new line of servers from IBM could help make the enterprise data center more efficient, while providing additional computer power for deep learning and high performance data analytics.
- How Watson Is Driving Innovation at IBM – Bloomberg hosts Amber Mac and Anthony Lacavera speak to the chief of IBM’s Watson IoT division Harriet Green about how the technology is being applied within companies to change how we work and live.
- Airbnb Adopts Rules to Fight Discrimination by Its Hosts – Airbnb has been working to combat discrimination on the platform after a barrage of criticism prompted a law suit.
- 5 reasons data scientists are attending World of Watson – IBM World of Watson is your opportunity to learn about new methodologies, tools and practices that can help you achieve your strategic objectives more efficiently and reliably.
- Google’s DeepMind Achieves Speech-Generation Breakthrough – Google’s DeepMind unit, which is working to develop super-intelligent computers, has created a system for machine-generated speech that it says outperforms existing technology by 50 percent.
- Here’s how artificial intelligence could solve the biggest problem in education – Jill Watson is a digitally intelligent teaching assistant that was introduced into an online course for masters students in computer science.
- Want to prevent a stroke? Combine wearables – The first iOS app to roll up FDA-approved electrocardiogram (ECG) and blood pressure readings in a single display was introduced Thursday by AliveCor.
- Make Easy Heatmaps to Visualize your Turnaround Times – Learn how to visualize your Turnaround Times with R.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Breaking Data Science Open – Learn about open data science on September 15th.
- Unlocking New Opportunities with Behavioral Analytics at Hootsuite – Join Robi Chakrabarti, Product Operations at Hootsuite and Christina Noren, Head of Product at Interana to discuss how behavioral analytics has helped Hootsuite to reveal hidden opportunities for growth and pinpoint issues affecting digital business outcomes such as conversion, engagement, and retention on September 21st.
- Data Science Methodology and Data Science in action Hands On – What does a data scientist do when given a business problem? Find out the answer on September 21st.
- IBM World of Watson 2016 – Unleash the power of data, analytics and cognitive. A new world awaits at IBM World of Watson 2016, October 24-27 in Las Vegas.