This Week in Data Science (September 06, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- How Tech Giants Are Devising Real Ethics for Artificial Intelligence – Researchers from tech companies have been meeting to discuss the impact of artificial intelligence on jobs, transportation and even warfare.
- The Three Faces of Bayes – The three main uses of the term “Bayesian” are presented through the lens of a naïve Bayes classifier.
- IBM Data Science Experience: First steps with yorkr – A user goes through his use of IBM’s Data Science Experience, an integrated delivery platform for analytics.
- EPA challenges communities to develop air sensor data platforms – EPA’s chief data scientist believes that real-time pollution sensors are the way of the future.
- Inside the ‘brain’ of IBM Watson: how ‘cognitive computing’ is poised to change your life – IBM’s Cognitive Computing revolution is changing how doctors, financial experts, and many other professions find and investigate key issues in their work.
- The sneaky math that made the lottery more alluring – and harder to win – In recent years, popular lotteries have been re-engineered to make their contests more appealing, but also further decrease your odds of hitting the jackpot.
- What Robots Can Learn from Babies – Researchers at the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence (Ai2) in Seattle have developed a computer program that shows how machines determine how the objects captured by a camera will most likely behave.
- Majority of mathematicians hail from just 24 scientific ‘families’ – The evolution of mathematics is traced using a comprehensive genealogy database.
- Enhanced DMV facial recognition technology helps NY nab 100 ID thieves – In January, the New York State DMV enhanced its facial recognition technology by increasing the measurement points of a driver’s license picture.
- How to Become a Data Scientist – Part 1 – Check out this excellent (and exhaustive) article on becoming a data scientist, written by someone who spends their day recruiting data scientists.
- Essentials of Machine Learning Algorithms (with Python and R Codes) – Sunil created a guide to simplify the journey of aspiring data scientists and machine learning enthusiasts across the world.
- Could artificial intelligence help humanity? Two California universities think so – Two California universities separately announced new centers devoted to studying the ways in which AI can help humanity.
- Y’all have a Texas accent? Siri (and the world) might be slowly killing it – Voice recognition tools such as Apple’s Siri still struggle to understand regional quirks and accents, and users are adapting the way they speak to compensate.
- Big data salaries set to rise in 2017 – Starting salaries for big data pros will continue to rise in 2017 as companies jockey to hire skilled data professionals.
- 10 Years of Color – Analysis on my Personal Photo Collection – See how Brett Kobold creates a data visualization that shows the most prominent color from every photo he took over the last 10 years.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- IBM World of Watson 2016 – Unleash your company’s cognitive potential at IBM World of Watson 2016 this October.
- Graph Processing with Spark GraphX – Learn about graph processing on September 8th.
- IBM DataFirst Launch Event – Join data and analytics leaders and practitioners from the open source community, startups, and enterprises at the IBM DataFirst Launch Event on September 27th in NYC.