This Week in Data Science (March 1, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data. Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Top 10 Data Visualization Projects on Github – This is a list of the top Github projects integrating high quality visuals.
- Robots That Teach Each Other– Imagine a world where robots learn from each other. The robots Tellex and Baxter were able to learn from each other’s experience by sharing data.
- Creating intelligent buildings with the Internet of Things – The Internet of Things will transform buildings into places that help dweller’s increase their productivity. Cognitive buildings are already beginning to transform people’s lives.
- Scraping Reddit – Learn how to write a Python script that scrapes Reddit.
- Who Is Responsible For Your Company’s Big Data? – As data science grows in demand and popularity, there is a need for better management and responsibility of big data.
- Body Language: Streaming Health Data – Do the benefits of streaming health data through wearables outweigh the potential security concerns?
- How to Segment Your Customer Database (Frequent Flyer Edition) – This is a step by step guide on how to segment your customer database.
- PCAST Releases Technology and the Future of Cities Report to the President – A new report released by the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, explains why its a good time to promote technologies for cities
- Data Science at Instacart – Learn how data science plays a role in revolutionizing the way we buy groceries.
- Opening Up Deep Learning For Everyone – Will non-programmers and non-mathematicians be using deep learning models in the near future?
- Customer journey analytics: Mining behavioral data to boost retail sales – Retailers are turning to data analytics to gain insight on shopper’s increasingly complex purchasing path.
- Viewing the US Presidential Primary Through the Lens of Twitter – Learn about the major themes and trends in politics through a Twitter trend analysis.
- Using machine learning to generate music – Learn about the different ways in which machine learning methods have been used to create music.
Upcoming & Recent Data Science Events
- How Data Can Protect You From Cognitive Bias – Learn how you can use data to protect yourself from cognitive bias and augment you intelligence on Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
- HPE Analytics Tour – The HPE Advanced Analytics World Tour is coming to a city near you! Don’t miss this one day opportunity to network with your peers and hear from top technologists, leading executives, and forward thinking customers about state-of the-art analytics topics.
- Introduction to Data Science using R programming (Montreal) – Learn about R programming on March 3, 2016 at the WeWork Lounge in Montreal.
- Big Data, Big Impact Hackathon Competition Intro session (Vancouver) – Join us in Vancouver, BC for the launch session of an hackathon surrounding Economics data.
- R programming/Data Science Methodology Hands On (Washington) – Learn about R programming on March 7, 2016 at the Conference Center in College Park.
Cool Data Science Videos
- See your fans from every angle with Behavior Based Fan Insight from IBM Analytics – The IBM Behavior Based Fan Insight is an Analytics solution for media and entertainment that gathers insights from fan analysis and leverages multiple data sources to segment and profile your fans. This can enable the delivery of a more dynamic and personal experience, and improve fan engagement and loyalty.
- Experiential retail: Using predictive analytics for customer engagement – IBM’s Predictive Customer Intelligence for Retail engages consumers in a new and more personalized experience.