This Week in Data Science (August 02, 2016)
Posted on August 2, 2016 by cora
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- How To Ace A Data Science Interview – Here’s what to expect at each stage of a data science interview.
- What Has Pokemon Got To Do With Big Data? – When there is participation at the levels of Pokemon, many behavioral insights can be gained from this real-time Big Data.
- How I built a Slack bot to help me find an apartment in San Francisco – Vik Paruchuri walks us through how he built a Slack bot that scrapes housing listings from Craigslist, filters them, posts them on Slack, and deploys it to a server.
- First Wi-Fi-Enabled Smart Contact Lens Prototype – Researchers at the University of Washington developed a way for embedded devices to harvest Bluetooth radio signals and use them to broadcast Wi-Fi transmissions.
- 8 Things Your Company Needs to Know About Cyber Security – Learn about the best security protocols to implement in order to stay safe from cyber attacks.
- NYC Subway Math – Erik Bernhardsson, Head of Engineering at One Zero Capital, analyzes New York City’s subway real-time API in order to find the best strategy when waiting for the subway.
- Only 9% of America Chose Trump
and Clinton as the Nominees – This dynamic data visualization displays the surprising information about the primary elections.
- Fly The Frustrating Skies – The results of various sentiment analyzers are compared in order to identify the most effective strategy for identifying customer complaints towards 6 major U.S. airlines.
- Up-and-Coming Programming Languages – Stay up to date by learning about these five up-and-coming programming languages.
- How to Start Learning Deep Learning – Here is an overview of deep learning with some advice on how to best move forward with learning Deep Learning.
- Yahoo Has a Tool that Can Catch Online Abuse Surprisingly Well – A team at Yahoo recently developed an algorithm capable of catching abusive messages better than any other automated system to date.
- Approaching (Almost) Any Machine Learning Problem – Abhishek Thakur walks us through the general methods used to preprocess data and apply machine learning models.
- 4 Predictions for the World of Big Data – With the rise of massive data availability, what changes will Big Data have on our lives?
UPCOMING DATA SCIENCE EVENTS
- Big Data & Analytics for Pharma Summit – Join some of the world’s top analytics professionals within the pharmaceutical industry on November 3 & 4 in Philidelphia for kenote speeches, workshops, and more.
- eMetrics Summit – Marketing analytics practitioners, experts and visionaries discuss capturing and applying insights from data on October 23 – 27 in New York.
- BDU on 2016 Hadoop Summit – Join BDU at the Hadoop Summit in Australia on September 1st as they discuss spatial-temporal trajectory analysis with Spark.