This Week in Data Science (July 19, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- This mind-blowing photo app makes Instagram’s filters look so lame – Prisma acts like your very own Picasso in your pocket. It uses advanced neural networks and artificial intelligence to paint from a picture.
- ‘Smart Highway’ Coming to S.F. Bay Area – The SMART Corridor project will add advanced metering lights, lane-closure warnings and variable speed-limit signs in a San Francisco highway.
- Machine Learning Algorithm Spots Depression in Speech Patterns – Researchers from the University of Southern California have developed a machine learning program that detects speech-related diagnostic criteria in patients being evaluated for depression.
- Nest’s Latest: A Security Camera That Uses AI To Analyze Threats – Nest Cam Outdoor is a waterproof security camera that uses artificial intelligence to detect possible threats.
- It’s ML, not magic: simple questions you should ask to help reduce AI hype – These questions demystify Artificial Intelligence.
- Teaching an AI to write Python code with Python code – Learn how to create a machine that writes its own code.
- 3 I’s Of Data-Driven Engineering – The 3 I’s of data-driven engineering are insights, indicators and investments.
- By studying ant colonies, MIT devised a totally new way to analyze massive amounts of data – Researchers at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) created an algorithm that replicates the behavior of ants in order to predict the population density of a network.
- They Know What You’re Watching (And Why You’re Watching it) – Data analytics has revolutionized the television and video industry.
- Why artificial intelligence is enjoying a renaissance – Artificial Intelligence is booming due to the use of new use of neural networks, which is modeled on the architecture of the human brain.
- Visualizing the Great Migration – The Most Under-Reported Story of the 20th Century – This data visualization the migration of African-Americans in the United States.
- Inside IBM’s New App-Building Training Ground – IBM is opening a garage space for its developers where people can work or talk with others about what they’re working on.
- Thinking in SQL vs Thinking in Python – Each language encourages a different mental framework for solving problems. Being aware of these frameworks is important when mastering a language and/or tool.
- Mobile Phone Data Reveals Literacy Rates in Developing Countries – A machine learning algorithm has found that literacy is dropping.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- IBM Webinar: Why the Data Science Professional Benefits from Using Apache Spark – On July 21st, attend this webinar to learn about how to use Apache Spark to solve problems.
- The O’Reilly AI Conference – Learn about Artificial Intelligence from leaders in the field in September 26th-27th.