This Week in Data Science (July 05, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- All the World’s Immigration Visualized in 1 Map – This map depicts the estimated net immigration by origin and destination country between 2010 and 2015.
- Building High-Performance Data Science Teams – These are points to consider when building a successful data science team.
- Who will win the presidency? – These data visualizations display the probability of each presidential candidate winning the 2016 election.
- What you missed in Big Data: The chatbots are multiplying – With the increase of Artificial Intelligence services, char bots who provide real-time advice.
- How well do facial recognition algorithms cope with a million strangers? – What happens to the performance of image recognition algorithms when applied to a sample size of a million.
- Human Or Machine: Can You Tell Who Wrote These Poems? – Computer scientists at Dartmouth College try to find out if computers can write poems as well as humans.
- Bayesian Statistics explained to Beginners in Simple English – Learn the basics of Bayesian statistics, a useful tool for machine learning.
- A Starter Kit for Solving the Cyber Security Problem – Here are tools and methods in successful cybersecurity practices.
- Watch 6,000 Years of Urbanization in 3 Minutes – Watch years of urbanization come alive in this data visualization.
- Why We Should Expect Algorithms to Be Biased – Are algorithms neutral or do they maintain the bias of those who wrote them.
- Launching the Data-Driven Justice Initiative: Disrupting the Cycle of Incarceration – To break the cycle of incarceration, state governments and a bipartisan coalition of 67 city are launching the Data-Driven Justice Initiative (DDJ).
- If you’re a data scientist, it’s time to experiment with some new tools – IBM Cloud Data Services combines different tools and resources to improve your current data science tool setup.
- Data science proves we love to hate-watch TV – Big Data reveals that viewers loving watching tv shows if they hate something about it.
- Data Mining Reveals the Crucial Factors That Determine When People Make Blunders – This Big Data analysis describes how people make important decisions.
- How IBM’s Watson Supercomputer Is Going to Help 10,000 Veterans – IBM’s Watson for Genomics technology and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affair work together to provide top-tier medicine to veterans.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- IBM Webinar: End to End Analytics in the Cloud with IBM – Join this IBM Webinar on July 7th to learn more about cloud analytics.
- Exploring 7 Kinds of Data Stories – Learn about story driven data on July 12th.
- Data Science Summit 2016 – Whether you are a developer, business leader, or data scientists, attend this year’s Data Science Summit in San Francisco on July 12th-13th in order to learn about the new possibilities in machine learning and data science.