This Week in Data Science (June 28, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Columbus Wins U.S. DOT’s Smart City Challenge – Columbus, Ohio will receive money to implement automated driving, connected vehicles, and sensor technology in their transportation systems.
- What’s Really Warming the World? – See how different factors contribute to global warming in this data visualization based on finings from NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
- How You Can Improve Customer Experience with Fast Data Analytics – Fast data is the next step for analytics. With fast data, big data analytics can be applied to smaller data sets in real time.
- Music Transcription with Convolutional Neural Networks – Neural networks and image recognition are used for music note detection.
- How Much More Does the Top 1% Make Compared to the Rest of Us – A data visualization maps income inequality across the United States.
- 5 Tips for Learning to Code for Visualization – Here are some tips to help you get started with coding your own visualizations.
- In deep learning, architecture engineering is the new feature engineering –
- Write Code to Rewrite Your Code: jscodeshift – Learn how to create codemods which are scripts that rewrite scripts.
- Bad Drivers Are About to Be Outed by a Dashcam App – Startup Nexar is working on an app that notifies user’s if there are bad drivers nearby.
- MIT Computers Binge-Watch ‘Desperate Housewives,’ ‘The Office’ To Learn About Hugs – Researchers at MIT trained an AI to using YouTube videos and television to anticipate how humans will greet each other.
- The Toronto Raptors Are Using IBM’s Watson to Draft A Winning Team – The NBA team, the Raptors, uses IBM Watson to analyze players.
- The Internet of Things Goes Nano – Scientists have begun shrinking sensors to the nanometer scale, small enough to circulate within living bodies. The Internet of Nano Things (IoNT) is the next big thing.
- How Unlimited Computing Power, Swarms of Sensors and Algorithms Will Rock our World – Accelerated change in technology is upgrading Earth from Earth 1.0 to 2.0.
- Google Gets Practical about the Dangers of AI – A new paper describes five problems that researchers should investigate to help make future smart software safer.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Introducing Anaconda Mosaic to Make Enterprise Data Transformations Portable for Heterogeneous Data – Join this webinar about Anaconda Mosaic on June 30th.
- Exploring 7 Kinds of Data Stories – Learn about story driven data on July 12th.
- Classification with Logistic Regression and Support Vector Machine – Learn about Logistic Regression and Support Vector Machines on June 28th in Toronto.
- IBM Webinar: End to End Analytics in the Cloud with IBM – Join this IBM webinar on July 7th to learn more about cloud analytics.
- Data Science Summit 2016 – Whether you are a developer, business leader, or data scientists, attend this year’s Data Science Summit in San Francisco on July 12th-13th in order to learn about the new possibilities in machine learning and data science.