This Week in Data Science (June 07, 2016)
Posted on June 7, 2016 by cora
Here’s this week’s news on Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
INTERESTING DATA SCIENCE ARTICLES AND NEWS
- Computer science class fails to notice their TA was actually an AI chatbot – “Jill Watson,” a chatbot powered by IBM Watson, was added to the list of teaching assistants for Ashok Goel’s online course. The chatbot was so good at answering questions that students did not notice their TA was not human.
- Big Data Analytics And The Next President: How Microtargeting Drives Today’s Campaigns – Today, political candidates are using Big Data to advertise themselves. Campaigns are gathering information about individuals and using it to serve personalized messages to prospective voters.
- Employee Training Isn’t What It Used To Be – Axonify uses a platform that ties training and assessment together. It intelligently tracks employee knowledge to provide the information needed.
- A Car’s Computer Can ‘Fingerprint’ You in Minutes Based on How You Drive –
Our driving patterns are surprisingly unique. A group of researchers from the University of Washington and the University of California at San Diego found that they could “fingerprint” drivers based only on data collected from a car’s internal computer network.
- Big Data Plays Surprising Role In Fight Against Climate Change
– Data studies are showing where and how fast climate change is occurring as well which industries are aggravating it.
- What is software engineering for data science? – When parts of a data analysis require implementing or applying a number of procedures or tools together, software gathers these tools into a module that can be repeatedly applied.
- A Beginner’s Guide to Data Binding in D3.js – Get started with D3.js, a powerful visualization library that helps create amazing charts.
- The Visual History of the Rise of Political Freedom and
the Decrease in Violence – See a data visualization presentation about our history of violence.
- The Growing Use of Big Data at Intelligence Agencies – Intelligence agencies are gradually adopting data analytics technologies in order to become more effective at detecting threats and finding culprits.
- The Making of a Cheatsheet: Emoji Edition – Learn the basics of machine learning in this colorful emoji cheatsheet.
- The First Visual Search Engine for Scientific Diagrams – A machine-vision algorithm searches for graphics in scientific papers and analyzes and classifies them.
- An Introduction to Virtual Reality: Where Does The Technology Stand? – Where is virtual reality now and where is it headed?
- Visualizing City Similarity – Mathematical and data visualization techniques are used to determine how similar different cities are.
UPCOMING DATA SCIENCE EVENTS
- Accelerate – Analytics and Data Visualization – TDWI Accelerate offers short-format courses over three days so you can reach your analytics goals faster. Attend on July 18th – July 20th.
- Data Science Bootcamp – Attend a free summer bootcamp starting May 20th in Toronto. Get hands-on training and receive a badge upon completion.
- Data Science Methodology – Hands-on workshop using data on food ingredients – Learn about how a data scientist’s workflow from start to end on June 11th in Tokyo.
- IBM at the Big Data Conference & Exhibition – Network with top influencers in the Big Data industry on June 14th in Toronto.
- Data Science for Developers – Learn how to transition from development to data science on June 25th in Toronto.