This Week in Data Science (May 24, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Building The Big Data Platform for Your Smart City – Using emerging technologies like Big Data and the Internet of Things, governments aim to build smart cities that understand their citizens and make fast decisions.
- These Headphones Know Your Ears Better than You Do – Nura, an Australian startup, built headphones that uses data from your ears to create headphones that adapt to your unique hearing.
- The Changing American Diet – See how the American diet has changed over the years using this data visualization.
- A guy just transcribed 30 years of for-rent ads. Here’s what it taught us about housing prices – Eric Fischer analyzes the effects of rent control on San Francisco rent prices.
- The world’s first artificially intelligent lawyer was just hired at a law firm – ROSS is AI that uses the supercomputing power of IBM Watson to read through huge batches of data in order to help solve cases.
- What is text analytics? – Text analysis can provide insight by creating high-quality structured data from unstructured data.
- Exit Polls Visualized – View interactive data visualization of the presidential primary exit polls.
- How to think like a data scientist – whatever job you have – People from any career can benefit from thinking like a data scientist. To do so, test, tune and tell your story to drive change.
- How to create your own Machine Learning Predictive System in the NBA using Python – Learn how to use Python in order to create a database and use machine learning in order to predict game results in your favorite sport.
- Machine Learning and Fraud: Why Artificial Intelligence Isn’t Enough – Overreliance on automated screening is leading to false declines due to the lack of human input and insight.
- Strayer U Pilot Shows Student Success with Predictive Analytics – Strayer University’s use of an analytics infrastructure has proven useful in improving course attendence, drop rates, and success.
- Bitcoin Usage and The Future Of The Blockchain – Bitcoin introduced blockchain, which is a public registry of transactions that cannot be altered or erased. Although the future of Bitcoin remains uncertain, blockchain holds an enormous potential for impact.
- OK computer: When pop music meets machine learning – Can we use machine learning to auto-generate hit pop songs?
- IBM Watson amps up Moogfest 2016 with AI-infused programming – IBM Watson has been drastically improving since its success at Jeopardy! in 2011. To name a few, Watson has since created a cookbook, helped Doctors recommend treatment options, and designed a dress.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Top Five Technical Tricks to Try when Trapped – Join Dr. Elder, the CEO & Founder of Elder Research, on June 7th as he covers his Top Five methods for boosting your data science practice.
- Analytics Strategies in the Cloud – Learn how to make analytics easier for everyone in your company on June 7th in Toronto.
- Introduction to Watson Analytics – Get started using Watson Analytics on June 7th in Washington.
- Data Science Methodology – Hands-on workshop using data on food ingredients – Learn about how a data scientist’s workflow from start to end on June 11th in Tokyo.
- IBM at the Big Data Conference & Exhibition – Network With Top Influencers
In The Big Data Industry on June 14th in Toronto.