This Week in Data Science (May 10, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- Here’s Everyone Who’s Immigrated to the U.S. Since 1820 – An interactive data visualization map depicts two centuries of immigration to the U.S.
- IBM Watson Brings AI Wonders to Cybersecurity – IBM will be introducing a cybersecurity version of Watson.
- Look at how marketers tell stories with compelling data visualizations – Here are a few tips on how to merge marketing and data analytics in order to tell meaningful stories.
- Top 5 Trends in Advanced Analytics 2016 – Learn about the top trends that defined and shaped the data industry in 2016.
- Want to know who to vote for? IBM’s Watson Elections will make an emotional decision for you – Two IBM researchers created an application that uses natural language processing to determine each candidate’s mood.
- Finding Similar Music using Matrix Factorization – Learn how to use matrix factorization algorithms to find related artists.
- Preparing for the Future of Artificial Intelligence – The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy will be co-hosting public workshops about Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to spur dialogue and identify the challenges and opportunities involved with this emerging technology.
- Better Than Botox: Beauty Industry To Get An AI Makeover – Is beauty the ultimate Turing test? Can machine learning and data understand beauty? Can they improve our beauty?
- SQL vs. NoSQL Databases: What’s the Difference? – Learn about the most important differences between SQL, a relational database, and NoSQL, a non-relational database.
- Nimble-Fingered Robot Outperforms the Best Human Surgeons – Researchers at the Children’s National Health System in Washington, D.C, created a robot surguen that uses 3-D imaging and force sensing to apply highly precise stitching.
- A Data Visualization That Presents A Continuous Mix Of 60 Years Of Billboard’s Chart Topping Hits – Matt Daniels created a data visualization of the Billboard Top 100. It uses a scrolling timeline that covers 60 years of music hits.
- A Neural Network that Dreams in Resumes – Can machine learning techniques be applied to building your best resume?
- How Machine Learning Amplifies Inequality in Society – Mike Williams, an Engineer at Fast Forward Labs, discusses how machine learning has the power to amplify privilege.
- Google Is Feeding Romance Novels To Its Artificial Intelligence Engine To Make Its Products More Conversational – Google is improving the conversational skills of its AI using steamy romance novels.
- IBM makes quantum computing available in the cloud – IBM is allowing access to its quantum processor via IBM Quantum Experiance, it’s cloud computing platform.
Upcoming & Recent Data Science Events
- Data Processing with Python – Learn the fundamental techniques of data processing with Python on May 24th.
- Shaping Data Stories with Neuroscience – This webinar, set for May 24th, examines the neuroscience principles of vision, memory, and attention in storytelling.
- Datapalooza – Join one of the Datapalooza festivals this summer to build a data product and learn from a diverse community of data professionals.
- Introduction to Watson Analytics – Learn how to get started with Watson Analytics on June 7th in Washington.
- Data-Driven Product Innovation Summit – Data experts will guide you through building better products on June 29 & 30 in Austin.
- Data Security Innovation Summit – Learn how to keep your Big Data projects secure on June 29 & 30 in Austin.