This Week in Data Science (May 03, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- IBM Watson co-designed the most high-tech dress at the Met Gala – IBM Watson and high-fashion label Marchesa designed cognitive dress for the Met Gala.
- How VR Will Revolutionize Big Data Visualizations – Big Data and analytics will greatly improve when visualization is on a 360-degree field of vision with simulated movement in three dimensions.
- How to Remove Duplicates in Large Datasets – The data cleaning process can be tricky. Find out how to remove duplicates from your datasets using statistical techniques.
- How Credit Card Companies Are Evolving with Big Data – Credit card companies such as CitiBank and Capital One are using Big Data in innovative ways.
- Good Robot! Elon Musk’s AI Nonprofit Shows Where AI Is Going – The nonprofit, OpenAI, created a tool that develops algorithms which allow machines to learn through trial and error
- Datasets Over Algorithms – Wissner-Gross thinks that breakthroughs in Artificial Intelligence have been constrained by the availability of high-quality datasets, and not by algorithmic advances.
- These old black-and-white photos were colorized by artificial intelligence – Researchers at Waseda University in Tokyo used convolutional neural networks to realistically colorize black-and-white photos without any human intervention.
- 12 Algorithms Every Data Scientist Should Know – Learn about the most important algorithms for data scientists.
- Can Big Data From Wearables Help Us Sleep Better? – If researchers could use big data to track the sleep patterns of large groups of people, wearables, such as smart pillows, could use this information to help improve our sleep.
- 13 Graphs On Outer Space, Satellites, and Astrophysics Made In Python or R – See cool data visualizations about space and astrophysics.
- Twitter’s Artificial Intelligence Knows What’s Happening in Live Video Clips – Twitter is developing an AI that recognizes what’s happening in live video. This could help provide users with more sophisticated recommendations.
- The Race For AI: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple In A Rush To Grab Artificial Intelligence Startups – Over the past 3 years, corporate giants have been racing to acquire the best startups in Artificial Intelligence.
- How Big Data Is Changing Basketball – Coaches are now using high-quality cameras and data analytics to improve athlete performance and better predict scores.
- Computers That Crush Humans at Games Might Have Met Their Match: ‘StarCraft’ – Computers have defeated humans at some of the most difficult video games such as checkers and chess. ‘StarCraft’ may be the exception as it requires computers to learn how to lie.
- Deep Learning Demystified – The basics of deep learning are explained in plain English.
- 5 Q’s for Daniel Morgan, Chief Data Officer at the U.S. Department of Transportation – Morgan discussed DOT’s open data efforts and his expectations for DOT’s ongoing Smart City Challenge.
Upcoming & Recent Data Science Events
- Open Data Science Conference East – Boston 2016 – Connect with and learn from some of the most innovative data scientist on May 20-22 in Boston.
- In-Memory Computing Summit 2016 – Come network, learn and exchange of ideas about the future of Fast Data on May 23-24 in San Francisco.
- Introduction to Watson Analytics – Learn how to get started with Watson Analytics on June 7th in Washington.
- Marketing & Analytics Data Science Conference – Learn how to use marketing analytics and data science to drive business forward on June 8-10 in San Francisco.