This Week in Data Science (April 26, 2016)
Here’s this week’s news in Data Science and Big Data.
Don’t forget to subscribe if you find this useful!
Interesting Data Science Articles and News
- IBM Watson Has a Few Predictions for ‘Game of Thrones’ Season Six – IBM Watson gives TV forecasting a go. Using personality insights, Watson predicts the fate of the characters in Game of Thrones.
- Data Visualization Drives the Era of Information Activism – This generation of passionate and tech savvy individuals is using data visualization tools for self expression. They are data activists who create visual representations to tell their stories.
- Building a (semi) Autonomous Drone with Python – Learn how to use Python and node.js to build a drone that moves by itself.
- Want to Get More Out of Hadoop? Here Are 5 Ways – The CMO of Talend, Ashley Stirrup, lists five ways to optimize Hadoop in order to increase business insight and competitive advantages.
- Big Data Is The Big Topic For The Internet Of Things – As The Internet of Things becomes more of a regularity and less of a novelty, questions about information overload and security arise.
- Your Next New Best Friend Might Be a Robot – Artificial Intelligence chatbot named Xiaoice surprises many with her very “human” responses during an interview.
- Prince’s Purple Reign, In One Chart – See data visualization of Prince’s Billboard hits.
- Learning R in Seven Simple Steps – R novices can follow this laid out learning path to learn R in the most productive way possible.
- 10 Important Predictions for the Future of IoT – IoT, which is still a relatively new market, will look vastly different in the next few years. Gartner makes 10 predictions about the future of IoT.
- MIT’s Teaching AI How to Help Stop Cyberattacks – AI2, an Artificial Intelligence developed at MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, reviews data to try and pinpoint anything suspicious.
- Road-Testing the Internet of Things in Kansas City – Kansas City is a frontrunner in implementing IoT into city systems. They partnered with Cisco to develop a smart city corridor.
- The rise of NoSQL databases – Learn about NoSQL and its recent rise in popularity.
- US VS. EU Start-ups: Does Silicon Valley Hold All the Cards? – Silicon Valley is not alone in its startup admiration. Cities in Europe such as Berlin and London have a large number of founders and entrepreneurs.
- Genetic Database Makes Finding Organ Donors Easier – A team of Indian scientists has developed a next-generation sequencing (NGS) method that can assist organ transplants, bone cell marrow donations and stem cell therapy with lowered risk.
- Cockroaches, Bees, Crickets and Big Data may just save lives – Insects are being studied in order to optimize robots and Big Data.
- How IBM delivers S’more profitability for Hershey’s Brazil – Due to the fierce competition faced by Hershey’s in Brazil, the company used advanced planning analytics to increase sales.
- IoT: Discovery in the age of dark data – See this infographic about IBM Watson’s Internet of Things.
Upcoming Data Science Events
- Data Science Methodology and Predictions – Learn about data science opportunities, challenges and methodology on April 30th in Shanghai.
- Open Data Science Conference East – Boston 2016 – Connect with and learn from some of the most innovative data scientist on May 20-22 in Boston.
- Marketing & Analytics Data Science Conference – Learn how to use marketing analytics and data science to drive business forward on June 8-10 in San Francisco.